Registering A Death

The Following People Can Register The Death:
  • A relative
  • A person present at the death
  • The person arranging the funeral
The Registrar Will Require The Following Documents:
  • Medical certificate from GP Surgery or Hospital. If the Coroner is involved, they will issue paperwork in place of the Doctor’s medical certificate. For further information regarding the Coroner, Click Here
  • Birth certificate (if available)
  • Marriage certificate (if available)
  • NHS medical card (if available)
The Registrar Will Require The Following Information Regarding The Deceased:
  • Full name (including any previous or maiden name where appropriate)
  • Address
  • Date and place of birth
  • Date and place of death
  • Last occupation
  • If the deceased was receiving any pension or allowance from public funds, other than a state pension, please tell the Registrar
  • National insurance number
  • Full name of spouse or partner
  • Date of birth of spouse or partner
  • Last occupation of spouse or partner
  • Your name and address
Upon Registration The Registrar Will Issue The Following Certificates:

A Certificate for Burial or Cremation (also known as the green certificate)

This must be handed to us as soon as possible after registration. If the Coroner is involved, you may not receive a green certificate from the Registrar.

This form is free of charge.

A Certificate of Registration of Death (also known as Form BD8)

This form is for social security purposes. The Registrar will go through this with you.

This form is free of charge.

Death Certificate

Certified copies will be needed for any of the following purposes, among others:

  • Bank and Building Society accounts*
  • Life Insurance policies covered by the deceased
  • Dealing with shares owned by the deceased
  • Applying for a tax rebate
  • Private Pensions
  • Solicitor

Death certificates are £ 11.00 each. You can pay for a certificate by cash, cheque, credit or debit card.

*Note: In most cases, upon visiting a Bank or Building Society, they will need a certified death certificate to photocopy for their records, but will then hand you the original certificate back. Please note, you can use the Death Notification service instead. For further information see below. 

The Death Notification Service:

This service allows you to notify a person’s death to a number of banks and building societies (financial institutions) at the same time. The aim is to make the process quick and easy for you, informing them at a time that suits you. For further information Click Here.

The Tell Us Once Service

What is the ‘Tell Us Once’?

When you register a death we recommend that you take advantage of the ‘Tell Us Once’ scheme where the Registrar will collect details from you and notify, in one step, government departments and local agencies on your behalf, saving you time and any inconvenience. There are two stages to the ‘Tell Us Once’ scheme. Firstly, the Registrar will enter all relevant details onto the ‘Tell Us Once’ national database. The second stage is completed by you at home, either by telephone or online, using the unique reference number given to you by the Registrar.

‘Tell Us Once’ scheme will notify:
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) – to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – to cancel benefits, for example Income Support
  • Passport Office – to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) – to cancel a driving licence
  • The Local Council – to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the deceased from the electoral register
  • Public Sector or Armed Forces pension schemes – to stop pension payments

For further information please Click Here.